- 50分 x 18回
- Advanced level reading and discussion class about American culture, college class style.
- Students must have a high intermediate English proficiency (TOEFL 450). Students must be prepared to do some work in and outside of class.
Students should be interested in learning about the American culture.
Students must buy the textbook.
- This is an introduction to American culture reading course, previously taught to students in the ESL program at the college level. Table of contents include chapters on, for example:
2. Traditional American Values and Beliefs
3. The American Religious Heritage
4. The Frontier Heritage
There are 12 chapters in total, but will work on the first six chapters only for the duration of 18 lessons.
The purpose of this class is to increase students' awareness and understanding of the cultural values of the United States and provide interesting cross-cultural activities for small group discussions and topics for oral presentations. In addition, I hope that this class will help students become a better reader of English and gain essential reading skills such as skimming and scanning. Students will expand their vocabulary, learn new grammatical structures and become a more fluent English user by the end of this class.